Thursday, January 1, 2009

January 3, 2009 Update

Today Nathan's weight is 3 lbs 3 ozs.

He continues to make progress each day. He no longer has the pick line in his arm. They stopped the TPN (total parenteral nutrition). The photo therapy (blue light) has been removed but they are still monitoring his bilirubin count twice a week to make sure the readings remain low. He has a blanket over his incubator; over time will slowly introduce him to light (after all he would still be in the dark if he decided to not come early). The caffeine is now going through his food. The Vapotherm has been bumped up from 2.5 to 3 due to his increase in feedings. He continues to have poopy diapers (yeah!).

I've been assisting with his cares when we are there visiting him. The cares I do are: wiping his eyes/mouth, changing his diaper, and taking his temperature. I get to hold him when it's feeding time. I like to hold him kangaroo style! For those of you who don't know what that is - mom gets to hold baby skin to skin. I can hold him this way anywhere from one hour to his next round of cares. His cares are every three hours.

Pictures to come soon (of kangaroo care and recent shots) since they are on Isaac's work laptop at the hospital. But here are some other pictures to enjoy for now.........


My first visit to see Nathan.



Cute little feet.



My first time holding Nathan.



Now a family of three!

5 comments:

  1. The pictures are wonderful!! You and little Nathan have been in my thoughts and prayers. Thanks for sharing your blog with us.
    Marsha and Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's beautiful and so are his Mommy and Daddy. I am so glad you have posted the blog. That way I can seem a little closer. We will continue to pray for you all. Nicky you take care of yourself and don't overdue. Wow what a Christmas present. Love to you all.
    Aunt Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for thinking to do this blog for those of us who do not live close but want to be as involved as we can. We have been thinking of you and praying for you. I can't wait to meet your little man. He is precious! I miss you... XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicky, I am so glad that you are now blogging--it is so addicting and fun. What an awesome way to see how Nathan is progressing. From the sounds of things he seems to be doing great! The boys and I are so excited to see you soon and do lunch. I will get a hold of you in the next day or two and we'll get something planned. In the meantime take care of yourself and know that we are thinking of all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Nicky, Isaac and Baby Nathan!
    I was so happy to hear about this blog. Glad things are looking up, you have been in our thoughts and prayers every day. What a precious little boy! Take care and let us know if you need anything!
    Amanda, Mitch and Korben

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.