Friday, April 17, 2009

Weight Gain, 16 Weeks Old, and Where's My Dirty Diaper?

I took Nathan in for his third and last RSV shot on April 13. As part of their routine, they weighed him. Guess how much Nathan weighs now?! For sure I thought he was 8 lbs and "change" but the nurse surprised me saying he is 9 lbs 1 oz!!! Wow, no wonder why his car seat is getting so much heavier when I'm carrying him. By the way, he did very well with his shot, considering.

On April 14, Nathan turned 16 weeks old. A couple new things he is doing now are stretching and noticing the color red. It's so cute to watch him extend his arms and make a face when stretching. Within the last week Nathan just stopped and stared at the red in his curtains when we were sitting in his room. He was fussing just a little bit, then looked up and all of a sudden he was content looking at them. It was fun to watch him be so interested in something; and is doing this often now. Below are a few pictures of him at 16 weeks old.





His little fingernails grow so fast! Thank goodness my Aunt Corinne (Nathan's Great Aunt) told me a great tip on how to cut his nails because he was scratching his face too often. I was nervous to trim them but now it's better. She instructed me to clip each side of his nail at an angle first then the "middle" part. This way there are no sharp edges to scratch his little head; plus this lets me trim them down further!

We went for a family walk on our neighborhood trail for the first time together on April 15 after supper. The weather was great that evening. Nathan slept the whole time even though he was being shaken around by all the bumps from parts of the sidewalk being uneven.

Nathan surprised me by not giving me a dirty diaper for three days. I'm not sure if it's because his little body is growing so fast now or what. I was concerned because this was not normal for him. The nurse I talked to recommended me giving him prune juice to help things move along. Let me just say, the prune juice experience was not a pleasant one - no one was happy. The juice was so thick it didn't want to go through any of the bottle nipples I had, even being diluted with lots of milk. I ended up syringing the entire 3.5 ounce bottle to him with Isaac's help in a syringe assembly line. After all that work, we got the result we wanted the next day. Is it scary that I was actually excited when he gave me a dirty diaper?! Who knows, maybe his body has adjusted to once a day or every other day now? Oh the joys of motherhood, guessing and wondering!

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing what you are excited for now that you are a mom?!

    Pics are so cute, he is getting to be quite the little handsome man!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prune juice??? EWWWWWWWWW LOL. Wonder if he thought "I better poop or they're going to do this again" hahahaha. He looks soooooooooooooooooo good!!! 9lb lil chunko! That is great great great!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.